Thursday, October 4, 2012

Good Morning my friends!
First - let's get the technical stuff out of the way.  Some of you have told me you can't post. I changed the settings. Let me know if it helped. I just haven't had the hours it will take to sit in one place to work out the kinks!

Let's just say I was inspired by the Presidential debate last night. Inspired by both candidates' drooling leers over RTTT (or Race to the Top for those of you residing under rocks).  Isn't it wonderful when candidates can cross the aisle and agree on the destruction of our children's education?  Now that's the kind of bi-partisanship we need! It just warmed my heart.

And of course it inspired my post for today...
Opt Out. 
Just do it. It's not scary. It's not difficult. Yes, it requires you take a stand. I am hearing from my contacts that more and more people aross the country are opting their own children and grandchildren out of these tests. I will be attending the Opt Out Occupy rally in Washington DC in April.
In NYS parents are finally moving a bit, so it's time to jump on the bandwagon!

If I had kids still in school here's what I would do. On the testing dates I would begin a new tradition. The test day would become a day of real education in my household.  Yes, I would have had to take a personal day or develop a sudden cough.  Think of all the things we used to be able to do in school and make a day of it with your kids!

A museum. A youth concert (you know, the kinds we used to take our students to on field trips). Take a nature walk with your Ipad. Have your children identify and categorize insects and plants. Take a walk and do some creative writing or poetry. Sing songs. Make time for physical movement.

I know what some of you are going to say...I CAN'T stay home with my kids- I'm giving the same test on the same day! Well, a spouse? A sister? A mom or dad? You lay out the lesson plans. 

You can do it and you can spread the word. If each person reached out to 5 parents, that would be a tremendous accomplishment. And your children would thank you for it. I'm sure many of you can also find ways to give this info to parents if they express displeasure with the tests.  Some of you might have advice for others. Feel free to post your positive and negative experiences.
Here's the information:





No comments:

Post a Comment